Luxury sails and such

Scallywag

Luxury sails and such

Post by Scallywag » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:12 am

I've found the scroll and bought the hangman, but not sure where to find luxury sails, etc
Ann

Re: Luxury sails and such

Post by Ann » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:31 pm

The Hydra Cannon, Luxury Sails, etc. are unlocked by completing treasure quests, which are in turn unlocked by completing side quests. So if you finish all side quests, you can unlock all these special items for the Hangman. Since you already bought the ship, the first item you unlock will automatically be equipped to your Hangman.
Scallywag

Post by Scallywag » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:35 am

Where will I see them equipped? I've done all the treasure quest and I own the hangman, but when I go in to upgrade the ship, I see no luxury sails or Hydra cannons...it only wants me to equipped cannons, sails, and hull
Drew458

Post by Drew458 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:59 pm

Please explain this some more. Where are these super powers and how do I get them, and are they limited only to the Hangman?

I have completed all the quests. I own all the ships. I own all the everything. Best First Mates, everything. I have never seen any of this magical stuff anywhere.

I long ago assumed that the Hydra Cannon, Luxury crimson Sails, super schematic were just poetic marketing names for Tier 5 components. I have never noticed the slightest performance difference when the ship components are on one ship or another, past the basic features of that ship (ie little ships shoot faster but have less guns, big ships shoot slower but deliver stronger broadsides, etc) Hangman with the "magic cards" is no better than a Tier 5 Hangman, or any other Tier 5 ship built to an equivalent level. Hangman does have good basic specs, at the expense of cargo hold area. And I had Tier 5 ship components long before I had the schematics, so what's the point?

The only way I've ever been able to "leave an entire fleet in disrepair" is to spend a fortune upgrading my cannons many levels higher than my opponents. This lets me shoot through several ships at once if they're close together, but none of any of this increases the range of the guns or their rate of reload and fire.

I keep dreaming of the Power Ups that are shown in the pulldown screen but alas have never EVER been built. Dagnabbit, after all this time and all my shipbuilding investment, my ship should be a bulletproof jet plane with machine gun cannons that can shoot beyond the horizon with nuclear power. Power Ups seem to promise most of that. But nooo, we'll never get this teaser feature. I've seen online that they have been promised for well over a year now. Make them work or change the pulldown graphic. This is bogus.

As an aside, since we're talking about the Hangman and the ultimate quest upgrades, here is my take on the entire fleet.

My terminology: stronger vs weaker: a ship with a weaker broadside built to an equal Damage level as a ship with a stronger broadside will deliver just as much whack per firing, but it will take much longer to do it. This means you have to stay on target longer which is a risk. Generally a ship with less guns will have a weak broadside, which means slow firing, even though they usually reload quickly. Plain old cannonballs reload faster than chain shot or flaming shot. Mortars run on their own loading schedule independent from the cannons, but share the ship's same basic reloading rate.

In general as the ships get bigger you get more side cannons, a slower reload, a stronger broadside, and more cargo space. Some of the bigger ships have interesting special features. None of the ships at the shipyard, or at the store, or at the Traveling Merchant list their number of holds, basic reload speed, or firing rate (aka broadside strength). The ones at the store tell you the crew size which is 0/65 on every ship, and also the turning circle, which is 10.5 on every ship in the entire fleet. This is worthless information. Give me usable data or don't waste my time. All ships at the store from the Kasai upwards all have the exact same basic specs.

Paying 100 Gold to refresh your crew every time you go to battle gets you a "reload bonus" which increases the rate of fire and has a slight speed bonus with the ">>" button to put the ship in "rabbit mode" during combat - raise the sails and go full speed instantly. However, no matter what ship you have at what strength you've built, all the crew advantage goes away after the first couple of minor hits on your ship, no matter how many crew your ship has. You can only do one reload bonus iteration per sailing, no matter how many battles you plan to fight or don't fight.

Ok, let's get to the ships, finally, to see where the Hangman fits in ...

I have the Hangman. It has a medium fast rate of fire, a strong broadside with a medium number of guns, and 16 medium cargo holds. It is a great mid size fighting ship. It has a slight basic Damage and Speed advantage over the nearly identical Fallen Saint, which has a slight basic Health advantage. All the Man O' War ships are great choices, all are upper mid-size.

Neptune has a slower rate of fire, a slightly stronger broadside, and a slight advantage over Hangman in Damage, Health, and Speed. It has more and bigger cargo holds and is the best all around full size ship, plus that 2X Chests thing. Neptune is very well rendered, lots of detail, and it's a good looking ship. My favorite.

Octavius is Neptune decorated for Christmas, but with half as many guns.

Leviathan, Argus are gigantic ships with the best broadsides, but very slow loading. Big turning radius no matter what the store spec says: they are not nimble. Slow to accelerate and slow to slow down. Their cargo holds are no bigger than Neptune: 18 holds of 565 volume if you have the best First Mate. First generation Argus with the accidental Ramming Power was superb, but without that the Ballistic Front Cannon is not really impressive. You want to ram, get Queen Ann's Revenge or Sea Devil, but you'll still need to build a really strong ship for the ramming to be totally killer.

The tiny ships have the highest rate of fire, the weakest broadsides, the lowest basic D/H/S specs, and least and smallest holds. You can upgrade any ship to massive ability, but it will never hold more cargo and it will never fire faster and it will never deliver a bigger broadside than what the raw basic spec allows.

The frigates, galleons, corvettes, carracks, and Rodger are stepping stone ships. Good in their own way, better than the basic gunboat, but not exceptional. Red Baron is really good looking, which is important to some folks. Nothing wrong with any of these, and probably best if you are just a one week player. Save your gems and wait until you afford a Man O' War.

The Asian style ships don't appeal to me. I've tried them all, and found them seriously wanting. Infinite fire shots isn't impressive if the guns are slow as molasses. Support ships sound great but they are beyond pathetic with their fixed Power 2 and get killed instantly. They don't upgrade with the rest of the ship either, which is super lame. Total waste of gems. Avoid.

Sea Devil is interesting looking, but the only advantage I can see over Queen Ann's Revenge are slightly stronger front guns. It rams just the same if built to the same D/H/S level. Weak broadside.
Scallywag

Post by Scallywag » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:34 pm

Soooo how do you know they are equipped?
Ann

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:53 am

Scallywag wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:34 pm
Soooo how do you know they are equipped?
My apologies, I have read your question more attentively and concluded that my former answer was not complete. Completing all treasure quests for the schematics unlocks the Hangman in your shipyard. They do not grant you an actual cannon, sails, etc. However, it is true that the tier 5 items are very rare and are recommended to be kept for bigger ships, since they also have more slots for these.
MrBender

Post by MrBender » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:31 am

Ann wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:31 pm
The Hydra Cannon, Luxury Sails, etc. are unlocked by completing treasure quests, which are in turn unlocked by completing side quests. So if you finish all side quests, you can unlock all these special items for the Hangman. Since you already bought the ship, the first item you unlock will automatically be equipped to your Hangman.
You still did not answer the original question at hand and that is where are the power ups that show in the drop down menu in game. I would like to suggest that if there is not any get rid of the Icons and if there is then produce them most exspeedently in other words hand them over now.
Ann

Post by Ann » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:49 am

My apologies for missing the other question! Power-ups are indubitably present in the game. They are just very rare, since they grant you a few days of enhanced statistics like extra experience, defense or gold, like a paid diamond subscription would. You have a chance of obtaining them by opening Legendary Treasure Chests, so fingers crossed!
Drew458

Post by Drew458 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:29 pm

Really? Power Ups actually exist?

If so, "rare" might be the understatement of the century. I am currently playing my fourth iteration of the game. I played the fist two iterations to level 100 or so; I played the third iteration to level 2000. In my current fourth iteration I am at level 6620. In this iteration alone I have completed more than 18,000 quests, and won nearly 3,000 battles. I have opened thousands of chests from battle, and many many thousands more from several thousand Premium Spins. Not to mention the ones I've purchased with gems. Regulars, Rares, and Legendarys. Thousands of them. I have never seen a power up, not ever, not once.

I am heavily active on this forum, on your Facebook page, and at several other non-Artik places online where Ships of Battle is discussed. To the best of my knowledge not one person has ever found one, and I've read posts asking about them that are well over a year old. I could not count the number of posts and comments I have read or made inquiring about these things. That they are temporary in nature is a sad surprise, and your post is the very first time I have ever heard that information.

If anyone reading this has won one or wins one, please put up a screenshot, so that the rest of us can view this miracle.

PS - The only reason I read your reply from August here in the middle of December was because I'm searching for the comment from the person who was having issues with Defend the Fortress. People go off topic quickly and that makes it really hard to find their comments again. Players, make a new topic; you're allowed to. Forum, it sure would be great if I could sort the posts by most recent comment, or if the search feature worked a bit better.