Regarding Sail upgrades (Realy High Level)

For any topic not covered by the other forums
Aeregon

Regarding Sail upgrades (Realy High Level)

Post by Aeregon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:40 am

Some players that are at high levels (likely 2000+) and found out that at some point upgrading your ship sails does not result in an increase in speed.
This is not a bug and is intended. Allow me to explain.

With the new upgrade system we allow almost infinite increase in stats. I say almost infinite, as 2,147,483,647 is the maximum number we can store in our system.
But lucky us, nobody has achieved this yet. Fun fact, upgrading an equipment piece or first mate will never cost you more than 2,147,483,647. Just so you know ;).

Now comes the part with the sails. As you might understand it would be ridiculous to make to scale like damage or health. I think everybody can understand that increasing speed with thousands of percent would be unplayable. Also, enemies would be able to achieve these speeds, which they can't deal with. That's why we decided to pick a maximum speed increase to work to. This maximum speed increase is currently 40%. At first you can increase it quite steady, but the closer you get to that 40%, the more slow you approach this number.

So you can keep upgrading it, and it will get closer to this 40%. But the changes will be so small you won't see a change in the number on screen (as we round our number to a set amount of digits). The number +40% will show at around tier 23.

So my tip for the players is to only put upgrades in sails when you have spare upgrade materials. As the gain in damage and health is more beneficial than speed. Wait till you feel enemies get too fast and then put some work on sails.
Don't judge me! I am trying my best.
Drew458

Re: Regarding Sail upgrades (Realy High Level)

Post by Drew458 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 pm

I have reached the 40% limit on my ship, but did not know such a limit existed. So I tried to upgrade the sails further. The game takes my gold but gives me nothing. PLEASE fix this. A little "your sails are fully upgraded" message, like at the Cove buildings, and just dim out the sails button.

Are there other limits? Cannons, hull, first mate? I had a minor issue yesterday upgrading my first mate past level 50, but today I see he is at level 51.

That level 2000 you mention was from 2.5 and earlier. It was more like level 300, but that doesn't matter. Obviously there is a limit to the playable ship speed. I always figured upgrading sails past the point where I could see a speed increase was more like adding sail armor against chain shot. And in 2.5 you couldn't control what was in the equipment chests, so why not just add to the sails. OTOH you could mix component upgrades. If somebody had told us about a maximum effective upgrade point, we could have used sail upgrade cards for our hull and cannons after reaching that point. I bet I spent 50 hours just upgrading the sails all those months.
Aeregon

Re: Regarding Sail upgrades (Realy High Level)

Post by Aeregon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Dont worry, It doesnt matter what you did in 2.5 on sails. Because all upgrades you did t any equipment was converted to upgrade material card. So your sails from 2.5 are now upgrade materials you can use on anything.

I will see if I can do something more for the sail stats. Maybe add something extra to it, like health. I will have to think about what will work, as it will also affect the enemy ships.

Other stats only have the limit of what the software can handle acording to numbers. The highest number possible we can use is just over 2.000.000.000, So that would be the limit. Although the limit in 2.6+ is a lot higher than 2.5
Don't judge me! I am trying my best.