game questions other than "how do I do ~~~?"

Drew458

game questions other than "how do I do ~~~?"

Post by Drew458 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:07 pm

I'll start ...

What's with the blinking ships?

Almost every time I set sail in the game, I see a couple of ships at sea, blinking visible and then invisible. I can't intercept them enough to enjoin battle, but sometimes I can track them enough to see that they are regular ships from the various factions. So they aren't UFOs or anything. Is there any significance to these special ships?
Meg

Re: game questions other than "how do I do ~~~?"

Post by Meg » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:36 am

Drew458 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:07 pm
I'll start ...

What's with the blinking ships?

Almost every time I set sail in the game, I see a couple of ships at sea, blinking visible and then invisible. I can't intercept them enough to enjoin battle, but sometimes I can track them enough to see that they are regular ships from the various factions. So they aren't UFOs or anything. Is there any significance to these special ships?
Hrmm, this sound like the ships you are following at sea are trying to enter or are just leaving a settlement. You can follow these ships, but it's not possible to engage in battle with them when they are almost leaving or just entering the sea. Could you check if that's it?

A video or (multiple) screenshot(s) would also help! :)
Drew458

Post by Drew458 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:41 am

No, they sail across the seas like this. It can be a ship of any size, any faction. Yes, it's the same kind of fade out/fade in they show when entering or leaving a settlement.

I'll try to get a screen shot, but unless I can catch it just as it blinks, it will look either just like a regular ship, or like a ship that isn't there. Neither helps much, really.

Maybe it's my phone, a Motorola G5 Pro with Nougat. I've had a couple other issues that only seem to happen to me.
Ann

Post by Ann » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Hey!

Then a video capture will be the next best thing. You can use any free screen capture software you can find on the Google Play Store, since the quality and any watermarks won't get in the way of identifying a blinking ship. Thanks for your efforts!
Drew458

Post by Drew458 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Ok, I'll try that. The blinking ships aren't any kind of a problem, I was just wondering about them. I think I see them more often when there are a lot of ships sailing around. Once again, it may be an issue with my smartphone.
Meg

Post by Meg » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:49 am

Drew458 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:49 pm
Once again, it may be an issue with my smartphone.
Coincidentally I have the same model smartphone! :D But no blinking ships for me. Still, we would like to look into your problem of course!

Depending on your region, version 2.4.0. might already be available for you. Updating to this version could maybe also solve your problem, as our programmers worked hard on optimizing the World Map for that version!
Drew458

Post by Drew458 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:47 pm

I finally caught one on video. Too big an .mp4 to post here. Will email it to you.

It's not the best example. This one comes down the east coast of Cuba and after 5 seconds of video turns into a French ship. But you can see it isn't just coming from Tortuga, it's coming down from Turks / Clarence Town. So it was blinking the whole time.
Meg

Post by Meg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:59 pm

Drew458 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:47 pm
I finally caught one on video. Too big an .mp4 to post here. Will email it to you.

It's not the best example. This one comes down the east coast of Cuba and after 5 seconds of video turns into a French ship. But you can see it isn't just coming from Tortuga, it's coming down from Turks / Clarence Town. So it was blinking the whole time.
Thanks for your video! Coincidentally, just before the weekend, I saw this problem for the first time on my own Motorola G5 Pro. For me it was the first time I saw it and it hasn't happened since.

What you show in the video and what I also encountered is an bug that we had in the game many versions ago (to be specific: what you see is the ship being stuck in it's spawn-animation). We have fixed it, but for some unexplainable reason it seems like (so far?) it has only not been solved on the Motorola G5 Pro. With us having access here to this exact device, we will look into it further. I have to admit that if it turns out that it's nowhere else but on this specific phone, it may be put with very low priority on the 'things that need to get fixed'-list.

We will continue to keep optimizing the game, so we hope you won't encounter it in future versions!
Drew458

Post by Drew458 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:07 am

it's still with me here in January, on release 2.5.0. It doesn't hurt anything, and it's a bit interesting to watch. So yeah, low priority. Sometimes I have 3 or 4 blinkers sailing around at the same time! :-)